Scott Kirsner is the CEO and Editor-in-Chief of Innovation Leader. As a journalist, Scott spent his career covering how ideas in companies get commercialized. Five years ago, Scott launched Innovation Leader, a company focused on how innovation happens in big companies. Brian Ardinger, Inside Outside Innovation founder, spoke with Scott about emerging issues in corporate innovation.
What innovation issues are tops for companies? – Innovation Leader Survey
- Solving bureaucracy and How to Tap Employee Ideas – Highest areas of Internal innovation interest
- Startup engagement meaningful, but companies have only started their collaboration experiences.
Why did corporates jump in and now are reassessing?
- Corporates need results near term.
- Successful companies focus on white space areas. Scout areas where startups can address problems areas.
- Develop strategies to set up a proof of concept.
- Jet Ventures – Doing corporate VC. Need to be in it for 7-10 years
What toolset is being used at startups, that could be used in corporations?
- Slack, GitHub, 3-D printer, landing tables, quick websites, Airtable, Coda, crowdfunding, etc.
How can the rise of new tech play out in corporate innovation?
- Companies are becoming aware of how business can apply new tech. Creating comic books, videos of vision, etc.
- Have more conversations and lunch and learns in your company to explain emerging tech and how the company can apply. Ask for engagement and put dots on the radar screen.
- Innovation teams shouldn’t be only ones tracking new innovations. Spread far and wide in company.
- Challenge of Innovation officer – change culture and training or build stuff and prototype. Execute the ideas.
What are you most excited about?
- New events, research reports, magazine covering top cities around the world for corporate innovation, and awareness of best practices in big companies.
- Don’t need to start with a white paper. Lots of innovation resources available – Inside Outside Innovation podcast, Harvard podcast, Innovation Answered podcast.
For more Information
If you enjoyed this podcast, you might also enjoy:
FREE INNOVATION NEWSLETTER
Get the latest episodes of the Inside Outside Innovation podcast, in addition to thought leadership in the form of blogs, innovation resources, videos, and invitations to exclusive events. SUBSCRIBE HERE