Our 2021 Watch List: Women in Innovation is made up of 29+ women who are making an impact both inside and outside the organization, in large corporations and small startups. These are the innovation thought leaders shaping business growth through research and publications, as well as women working with the biggest corporations and the fastest startups on the planet.
Some may be familiar names, while most will be new to you. In many cases, we offer podcast interviews with women who we think you’ll connect with. Our new 2021 Watch List includes a few innovators from the last two years, but most are new in order to make space for more incredible innovative women. You can also check out our 2020 Watch List: Women in Innovation, as well as our first 2019 Watch List: Women in Innovation.
Women in innovation in 2021 who work inside companies or are closely aligned to a corporation or organization in a consultative role.
- Lori Bush is the Co-founder and Executive Chairman of Solvasa. Ep. 188 – Lori Bush, Former Rodan + Fields CEO and Solvasa co-founder on the Beauty of Marketing Disruption
- Sonja Gittens Ottley, Head of Diversity and Inclusion at Asana – Ep. 193 – Asana’s Sonja Gittens Ottley on Innovation through Diversity and Inclusion
- Xiaoyin Qu, Founder of Run The World. You can read more about her journey in her blog post “My journey of (possibly) predicting COVID, finding the “perfect” startup idea, and raising $15 million.” IO2020 Speaker.
- Steph Smith is Head of Trends, Product Manager at The Hustle and author of Standing Out in 2020: Doing Content Right. IO2020 Speaker.
- Karen Holst, Co-Author of Start Within, is an entrepreneur turned intrapreneur. She co-founded educational technology startup MyEdu. IO2020 Speaker.
- Rika Nakazawa is the CEO and Founder of BoardSeatMeet, Inc. and Vice President and Client Partner at Conduent. IO2020 Speaker.
- Olivia O’Sullivan is the Head of Corporate Innovation & Partnerships at Acceleprise, a B2B SaaS accelerator, fund, and corporate innovation group. IO2020 Speaker. (Also on 2020 list)
Women in innovation in 2021 who serve as consultants to both corporations and startups, in addition to providing innovation thought leadership as authors.
- Monica Rozenfeld and Lina Bedi, Co-Founders of the incubator Her Product Lab. Ep. 212 – Monica Rozenfeld & Lina Bedi, Her Product Lab Co-Founders, on Women in Product and New Product Development Incubator
- Pam Marmon, CEO of Marmon Consulting and author of No One’s Listening and it’s Your Fault: Get Your Message Heard During Organizational Transformations. Ep. 215 – Pam Marmon, Author of No One’s Listening and It’s Your Fault on Why Change Isn’t Hard.
- Chris Shipley & Heather McGowan, C0-Authors of The Adaptation Advantage. Ep. 205 – Chris Shipley, Co-author of The Adaptation Advantage on Innovation, Agile Mindset & Being Uncomfortable. (Also on 2019 list)
- Laurel Lau, Founder of Six Atlas and author of Interplay: How to become a top innovator. Ep. 202 – Laurel Lau, Founder of SixAtlas and Author of Interplay: How to become a top innovator
- Regine Gilbert is a user experience designer, educator, international public speaker, and author of Inclusive Design for a Digital World: Designing with Accessibility in Mind. Ep. 221 – Regine Gilbert, Author of Inclusive Design for a Digital World: Designing with Accessibility in Mind on the Accessibility Process and Future Technologies.
- Marguerite Johnson, Author of Disruptive Innovation and Digital Transformation: 21st Century New Growth Engines. Ep. 222 – Marguerite Johnson, Author of Disruptive Innovation and Digital Transformation: 21st Century New Growth Engines on embracing open innovation and transformation.
- Kate Leto, Author of Hiring Product Managers Using Product EQ to go Beyond Culture and Skills. Ep. 223 – Kate Leto, Author of Hiring Product Managers Using Product EQ to Go Beyond Culture and Skills
- Shannon Lucas, Co-Author of Move Fast, Break Shit, Burnout: The Catalyst Guide to Working Well. Ep. 224 – Shannon Lucas, Co-author of Move Fast, Break Shit, Burnout: The Catalyst Guide to Working Well
More Outside Innovators…
- Erin Stadler, Managing Partner at Boomtown Accelerators. Ep. 225 – Erin Stadler, Managing Director of Boomtown Accelerators on Evolution of Accelerators, Corporate Partnerships, and COVID’s Impact
- Diana Wu David, Author of Future Proof: Reinventing Work in the Age of Acceleration. Ep. 227 – Diana Wu David, Author of Future Proof: Reinventing Work in the Age of Acceleration on the Changing Landscape of Work
- Nahia Orduna, Author of Your Digital Reinvention: A Practical Guide for Discovering New Opportunities and Finding Your Place in the Future of Work. Ep. 228 – Nahia Orduna, Author of Your Digital Reinvention: A Practical Guide for Discovering New Opportunities and Finding Your Place in the Future of Work
- Christina Oldfather, Director of Innovation and Entrepreneurship with Lincoln Partnership for Economic Development. Entrepreneurial community builder. IO2020 Speaker
- Carol Tran is a growth executive, 3x entrepreneur, philanthropist, and a change agent for suboptimal business conditions. She was formerly the Head of Growth at Dolby. IO2020 Speaker.
- Teresa Jurgens-Kowal, Author of The Innovation ANSWER Book and founder of Global NP Solutions. Previously, Teresa worked in R&D, process technology development, and as an internal innovation expert at ExxonMobil Chemical Company.
- Anne Marie Knot, Author of How Innovation Really Works: Using the Trillion-Dollar R&D Fix to Drive Growth and Professor at Washington University in St. Louis.
Venture Capitalists/Innovation Organizations
Women in innovation in 2021 who as thought leaders provide significant guidance as investors and advisors.
- Minnie Ingersoll, partner at TenOneTen Ventures. Ep. 209 – Minnie Ingersoll, Partner at TenOneTen Ventures, on Venture Investing, Google & Launching her own Startup
- Arlan Hamilton, founder of Backstage Capital, and author of It’s About Damn Time. Ep. 198 – Arlan Hamilton, Founder of Backstage Capital & Author of It’s About Damn Time: How to Turn Being Underestimated into Your Greatest Advantage (Also on 2019 list)
- Allison Weil, Senior Associate at Hyde Park Venture Partners. IO2020 Speaker
- Amira Ouji, Director of Portfolio Engagement at Revolution’s Rise of the Rest Seed Fund. IO2020 Speaker.
- Melissa Vincent, Executive Director at Pipeline Entrepreneurial Fellowship, Startup Founder, and Co-host of the “Weekly Reboot” podcast.
Do you agree with our Women in Innovation 2021 List? Who did we miss?
Let us know at email@example.com
FREE INNOVATION NEWSLETTER
Get the latest episodes of the Inside Outside Innovation podcast, in addition to thought leadership in the form of blogs, innovation resources, videos, and invitations to exclusive events. SUBSCRIBE HERE
This post contains affiliate links that may earn Inside Outside a small fee on purchases originating from them. They do not influence editorial decisions to include mention of any products or services in this article or add any cost to the customer.