Thales Teixeira is an Associate Professor at Harvard Business School and author of Unlocking the Customer Value Chain: How Decoupling Drives Consumer Disruption. Brian Ardinger, Inside Outside Innovation founder, talks with Thales about innovation, consumer disruption, and decoupling. They also discuss Thales new HBR article titled Disruption Starts with Unhappy Customers, Not Technology.
- Economics of Attention – To help companies understand consumer attention – Where, how and why. – www.economicsofattention.com
- Understanding Digital Disruptors – Customers Disrupt Markets.
- Startups are just faster at delivering needs and understanding customers.
- Why do large companies think they KNOW and adapt to their customers.
- Large companies are obsessed with their competitors but should be focused on their customers.
- Inside Outside Innovation Summit – Oct 2-22, 2019 – www.theiosummit.com
- Customer problems might not be big enough for large companies. This creates an opening for startups.
Unlocking Customer Value Chain – New Book
- First Wave – Unbundling products
- Second Wave – Disintermediation is when startups cut out the middleman
- Third Wave – Startups are looking at the customer value chain and breaking up links and taking one activity at a time – Decoupling – e.g. – Best Buy moved to price matching & charging manufacturers for shelf space. Supports showrooming activity and doesn’t fight Amazon.
Decoupling is happening as a result of consumers looking for lower costs of goods and services. Startups, with new business models and tech, are reducing costs. To improve relationships with customers: create value, reduce value eroding activities or reduce value charging activities.
For more information or to connect with Thales, check out Decoupling.co
For similar podcasts, check out:
- Ep. 151 – Jeff Dyer, Author of Innovation Capital: How to Compete–and Win–Like the World’s Most Innovative Leaders
- Ep. 148 – Francesca Gino, Harvard Professor and Author of Rebel Talent: Why It Pays to Break All the Rules in Work and in Life
- Ep. 112 – Ralph Welborn, Author of Topple on Corporate Innovation
FREE INNOVATION NEWSLETTER
Get the latest episodes of the Inside Outside Innovation podcast, in addition to thought leadership in the form of blogs, innovation resources, videos, and invitations to exclusive events. SUBSCRIBE HERE